
Ingredients:
1/2 mango
1 banana
1 lime
1 navel orange
1/2 cup red grapes
a few ice cubes
And here's what ya get:

Since I've been enjoying oranges and limes in my smoothies lately, I wanted to mention in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month that limes are an absolutely excellent source of vitamin C and contain flavonoid compounds that have both antioxidant and antibiotic effects on the body. Limes have healing properties in that their special flavonoids (flavonol glycosides) have been shown to stop cell division and proliferation in cancer cells. Another nutrient compound present in limes are liminoids. Specifically, limonin may be a much more beneficial anti-carcinogen than the phenols in chocolate or green tea are because it stays in the body for much longer - in some cases up to 24 hours versus 4-6 hours. So you can imagine a g l o w of active protection that lingers in the body. Read more about the health benefits of limes and lemons at Whfoods: Lemons/Limes. I take every opportunity I can to include limes and lemons in my diet such as by squeezing the juice over the Indian/Pakistani meals (especially biryani!) that I eat regularly, squeezing the juice into water, and as you know - adding the juice to my smoothies!~

No comments:
Post a Comment