Monday, December 7, 2009

Paneer Butter Masala


~~~

We've discovered a new Indian restaurant in Irving called Spice 'N' Rice Indian Tiffin. They've got the most delicious paneer masala I've ever tasted. The curry is so creamy, spicy hot and flavorful with whole pieces of garam masala in it. After ordering takeout t w o times in the last week, we decided to try and make it at home. I would have been embarrassed to go back a third time, and I couldn't get K to do it. ;) heehehe. So, I found a few recipes online, but mostly adapted my recipe from this one.

Ingredients:

250 g paneer, cubed
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
2 cardamom pods (or about 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 8 oz can diced tomatoes (w/ juice)
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 inch fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup water
chopped cilantro for garnish

Method:

Fry bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and cloves in 1 tablespoon butter for about 45 seconds.

Add onion, ginger and garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes.

Add dry powders, sugar and diced tomato (with the juice from the can). Cook another 2 minutes.

Add a cup of water. Let simmer on low heat.

Stir in cream, the rest of the butter and the paneer. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with naan or rice.

I thought it turned out pretty well for the first go round. :) Next time I might add another cinnamon stick for the flavor to come through stronger in the curry.

By the way, I figure that when making something rich like paneer butter masala, there's no sense in taming it with the "healthy" versions of ingredients. I wanted to use real butter, sugar, and heavy cream. It was just fabulous. December is usually my month to go-all-out on wild & sinful culinary adventures. ;)

4 comments:

  1. wow this looks great thanks for visiting my blog love yours as well, yummy food here Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paneer butter masala looks creamy and rich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rebecca!
    Thanks for stopping by, Parita :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, awesome recipe... I'm sure you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete

Jicama Salad

Natasha's Jicama Salad with apple & cilantro Ingredients: 1/2 cucumber, chopped 1/2 zucchini, chopped 1/2 red apple, chopped 1/3...