Wednesday, August 19, 2009

random acts of kindness



I was chatting with a friend today about random acts of kindness, anonymous acts of kindness out in daily life, that is. We were laughing about how great it feels to do something for someone without them even knowing who did it. I fully believe that a good deed does go unpunished... if it's anonymous! ;)

Here's one I like a lot. I don't do this as often anymore simply because I rarely go to these places now, but it was novel for me at the time. So, I'll tell you. At the coffee shop...Let me clarify, it was in the drive-thru at Starbucks and Caribou coffee where I partook in this "mischievous behavior". When I paid for my stuff, I told the cashier that I also want to pay for the person's order behind me. Trust me you'll drive away all giddy. It's the best feeling! Ha!~ Sure I've gotten a strange look from the barista on occasion and even a blunt, "What? Why? Don't you first want to know how much it is?" but it always ended with their eyes bright.

I got that idea because it was done to me first! One spring day in 2003 I drove up to the window at a Caribou Coffee in Atlanta, GA to get my turtle mocha that I used to love so much (yikes!). As I reached out to give my money to the cashier, she said that the people in front of me paid for my order. "Huh?" Umm, what? Is this a creep or a guy who wants to meet me...or both? I guess my eyes showed my skepticism because after we stared at each other for a split second, she, apparently feeling just as astonished as I, told me that it was a lady who said it made her day once when someone did this for her, and now she wants to do it for me. That's it. Nothing else. No strings attached. Awesome, huh? I was floored, honestly. Then, I think the surprised grin that emerged on my face was unlike any expression of happiness I've ever made. I drove away feeling opened to a different kind of interconnectedness with mankind! :P I thought it was fantastic! I didn't need that mocha. My life wasn't dependent on getting it.

Many of us have donated items to goodwill & salvation army, donated money to charities, worked in soup kitchens, volunteered at various community centers & organizations, helped a friend or family member in need... Some of these ways of contributing just seem to come naturally in American culture (and of course many other places), but I also find great joy in small random acts that in the moment could completely surprise someone and make their day a bit brighter. Or at least give them an unexpected story to tell later!

Especially now that the economical times are changing, people who you wouldn't even suspect are in need of just a little something extra from those around them to let them know everything's gonna be all right no matter what happens. You don't have to know that someone's in need in order to do something kind for a stranger. It might even show 'em what really matters in life if they'd started to forget.

Have you experienced any random acts of kindness lately out-and-about in your daily life? Even just a simple smile can do the trick!

~~~~

5 comments:

  1. i like your kindness at starbucks. don't you pay for the item first and then you get the order? how did it work? being that the person was behind you placing the order. just curious.
    it's wonderful to do little things and big things.
    this is what my husband and i do, look here. www.cascalheirabrazil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only type of drive-thru that I've done this in is the kind where you place your order into a speaker and then drive to a window to pay & get your stuff.

    When I get to the window, I pay for the person's order who is behind me, as well as my own order (2 separate transactions). I only take my items and drive away. The people behind me then drive forward to the window and the cashier just tells them that the "lady who was in front of you paid for your coffee." lol... The lucky winner is just handed their items and sent on their merry way...lol. It's a quick and simple process. :) But obviously you gotta go during a busy time of day otherwise there won't be anyone behind you in line! LOL

    Checking out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done this pay it forward thing at Starbucks too! I saw a story about it on CNN about 6 or so months ago, and did it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Victoria, I found the CNN clip on YouTube. I added it to my post. :)
    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Jicama Salad

Natasha's Jicama Salad with apple & cilantro Ingredients: 1/2 cucumber, chopped 1/2 zucchini, chopped 1/2 red apple, chopped 1/3...