Monday, August 17, 2009

Yummy (green) smoothie!





I've been gone forever, it seems! It's been several months since I've posted anything. Thought I'd come back and do a little update on what's going on around here. K is busy with work, and I've been busy interviewing for jobs, still. I haven't been doing as much Indian cooking lately as in the past. I've actually been giving my body a break from the heavier foods. No better time to do that than in the heat of the Texas summer! The heat here is unbearable. Well, unless you're subjecting yourself to...heat...on purpose in, say, a heated yoga classroom. ;) My sister and I have been taking fire yoga classes at Sunstone Yoga. I heart them very much. I can feel my body detoxing with the heat and sweat, and contorting in ways I hadn't thought possible. I feel great, seriously. My back and bottom are tightening enough for me to start cycling again once the weather cools down for fall. Now another way I'm preparing myself for cycling in the fall is by eating more raw vegetables and fruits. So far, I'm having one smoothie per day. Aside from a salad, I'm also looking forward to trying fancier raw food recipes in a bit (like nori rolls). Here is a recipe for what I made yesterday and today, an oh-so-yummy! green smoothie:

1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup grapes
1 cup baby spinach
1 1/2 cups kale
about a 5th of a lemon (for squeezing the juice from)
1/2 cup water
I use organic veggies & fruits and spring water.

Method:

Depending on the size of your blender or food processor, you can blend equal portions at a time or all at once. My blender burned out recently so I had to use my food processor and zip the ingredients through in 2 portions. You might want to first break up the kale into small 2-inch pieces by hand before adding to the food processor as kale is rather bulky. Also, squeeze the lemon directly into the blender or food processor. Everything else can just go in as it is with no particular order of adding ingredients.

I was pleasantly surprised at how fruity this smoothie tastes! If I were to close my eyes and drink it, I would never even suspect there is kale and spinach in it! I wasn't that scared of it, though... heehee. This was my first "green" smoothie. I wasn't sure what to expect! Mine was rather purple. ;) I loved it and am looking forward to drinking one of these everyday, experimenting with other ingredients, fruits and veggies like chard, mustard greens, mangoes, strawberries, bananas, oranges and coconut water.

Hope you enjoy it!

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you posting again! I have been wanting to try green smoothies - I've heard a lot of talk about them lately - and I've been TRYING to eat healthier! But the greens do scare me a bit... I'll just have to take the plunge and see for myself! I'm excited to try your recipe because blueberries are in season here and I'm hoping to go and pick some this week :-) thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, with all that, I can't imagine you're too out of shape! Nice before pic of the smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love green smoothies like this - so fresh and yummy! Glad to see you posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i absolutely love green smoothies/puddings.
    i love your before and after pic of the smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had to come back and look at that before picture of your smoothie. i think it is gorgeous. with a blank background i think it would make a great poster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, Thanks, I'm so glad you're inspired!! :-)

    Thanks Reeni and Meeso!

    Jessica, Wow, Thanks! I thought the kale was going to topple over any minute when I was taking the shot! :D

    ReplyDelete

Jicama Salad

Natasha's Jicama Salad with apple & cilantro Ingredients: 1/2 cucumber, chopped 1/2 zucchini, chopped 1/2 red apple, chopped 1/3...