I figured my trip to Shanghai for the World Expo would mean I'd surely experience new culinary adventures along the way. Here is an unlikely one... I'd never tried Bulgarian food before, and I really couldn't resist this dish at a quaint little Bulgarian cafe at the Expo. The seasoning which was the signature piece of the dish was so outstanding, I had to have some of my own to take home. The manager of the restaurant sold me some in a cute little clay pot for 10rmb which is about $1.50. This traditional seasoning is called chubritsa and by its flavor, I'm guessing this batch in particular had to have been a blend of savory, paprika, oregano, salt, black pepper and just a hint of red pepper.
Here's a Bulgarian recipe that I tried out with my new seasoning the day after I got back home!
Zelen Fasul
Ingredients:
1 lb green beans
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
1-2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tomatoes (on the vine), diced
1 TBSP chubritsa (or see a homemade mixture here which also includes spearmint) - I like A LOT of this blend...I probably ended up using closer to 3 tablespoons as I went along stirring and tasting, then topping at the end. :) (I need to buy more now!)
2 cups water
3 TBSP plain greek yogurt
Method:
Chop it all up, get it ready. I waited to chop the tomato until during the next step.
First saute the onion and garlic in olive oil, and then slowly add the celery and carrot pieces.
Stir in the chubritsa.
Stir in the green beans and tomato. Soon after, add about 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
Lower heat, cover and let simmer for about 20 or so minutes.
I didn't want it to get too stewy-like. I wanted the green beans to be a little crunchy still. If you truly want a stew it might take another 15 minutes of simmering.
When it's ready, spoon into bowls, top with yogurt and sprinkle a tiny bit of chubritsa on it. Enjoy!
Here's a Bulgarian recipe that I tried out with my new seasoning the day after I got back home!
Zelen Fasul
Ingredients:
1 lb green beans
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
1-2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tomatoes (on the vine), diced
1 TBSP chubritsa (or see a homemade mixture here which also includes spearmint) - I like A LOT of this blend...I probably ended up using closer to 3 tablespoons as I went along stirring and tasting, then topping at the end. :) (I need to buy more now!)
2 cups water
3 TBSP plain greek yogurt
Method:
Lower heat, cover and let simmer for about 20 or so minutes.
I didn't want it to get too stewy-like. I wanted the green beans to be a little crunchy still. If you truly want a stew it might take another 15 minutes of simmering.
When it's ready, spoon into bowls, top with yogurt and sprinkle a tiny bit of chubritsa on it. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment